Rack-mount 18-Module chassis for miConverter miniature media converter modules*
- Provides high-density fiber distribution from UTP switches
- Two chassis can be mounted in 3U of rack space
- Standard 19” rack-mount dimensions allow spacesaving and convenient installation
- Media converters are secured in place. Reliable connection is maintained at all times
- Available in universal AC, 24VDC and 48VDC models
- Supports commercial (0 to 50°C) and wide (-40 to 65°C) operating temperature ranges
- Completely software independent with no installation of drivers required
- Media converter modules are hot-swappable
- Peace-of-mind reliability backed by a lifetime warranty and free 24/7 technical support
*18-Module Chassis does not support the miConverter S-Series modules.
The miConverter 18-Module Power Chassis is a cost-effective mounting and powering solution for miConverter miniature media converters. This compact chassis is ideal for consolidating multiple media converters into a highdensity, rack mountable form factor. It can be deployed in Service Provider, Enterprise and Government applications where fiber optic links are distributed from UTP switch equipment. The miConverter chassis is suitable for Fiberto- the-Desk, Campus LAN/WAN fiber networks and hybrid copper/fiber networks.
The chassis holds eighteen miConverter 10/100, 10/100 Plus, Gx and GX/T copper to fiber media converter modules with barrel-style DC connectors. It provides centralized power for all installed modules, and eliminates the need for individual power supplies. It is available with a single universal AC, 24VDC or 48VDC internal power supply.
The chassis is less than 1.5U high, and two chassis can be installed in 3U of rack space. It can be mounted in a standard 19” equipment rack, or it can be mounted in a 23” rack using optional 23” rack mount brackets.
Each media converter within the chassis is secured in place and maintains a reliable power connection, even when data cables are under tension.
In the upper left of this diagram, UTP from a core switch is converted to fiber with a miConverter 18-Module chassis of media converters.
1. Fiber is distributed to a field-deployed laptop computer. A miniature miConverter media converter provides fiber connectivity to the laptop and draws power from the laptop’s USB port (represented by the black line).
2. Fiber is distributed to a Thin Client, where a miniature miConverter converts the fiber to copper and provides connectivity to the Thin Client device that does not have a fiber port. The miConverter module is powered directly from a USB port on the Thin Client device, eliminating the need for an electrical outlet and saving energy costs.
3. Fiber is distributed to a PC or Workstation, where a miniature miConverter converts the fiber to a UTP cable that is connected to the workstation supporting a 10, 10/100 or 10/100/1000 copper connection. The miConverter module is powered directly from a USB port on the PC or Workstation.
Hybrid Copper/Fiber Campus LAN
This application example illustrates an Ethernet Enterprise network with a star topology that provides multiple fiber links to remote buildings. In the upper left, three copper UTP links from a core switch are converted to three fiber links via a miConverter 18-Module chassis of media converter modules.
The fiber links run to remote buildings, where the fiber at each location is converted back to copper and distributed to end users at different buildings. Management is carried from the core switch across the fiber link to each switch located at the remote buildings. This provides centralized network management across the campus network.
|Chassis Type||AC Powered Chassis||24VDC Powered Chassis||48VDC Powered Chassis|
||18 miConverter 10/100, 10/100 Plus, Gx and GX/T modules*
|Input Power Requirements (typical)
|100 to 240VAC,
50 to 60Hz
0.4A @ 120VAC
|+/- 18 to 36VDC
2.0A @ 24VDC
|+/- 36 to 60VDC
1.0A @ 48VDC
||UL, cUL, CE, FCC Class A
||Standard Temp: 0 to 50°C
Wide Temp: -40 to 60°C
Storage Temp: -40 to 80°C
||W: 17.5” x D: 9.5” x H: 2.5”
||5 to 95% (non-condensing)
||-100m to 4000m
*18-Module Chassis does not support the miConverter S-Series and the miConverter GX/T with terminal connector (12xx-x-9).
||miConverter 18-Module AC Powered Chassis
||miConverter 18-Module 48VDC Powered Chassis
||miConverter 18-Module 24VDC Powered Chassis
||Spare L-Bracket for mounting media converter modules
||Optional 23” rack mount brackets for 18-Module Powered Chassis
All chassis above ship with 19” rack mount brackets. Order 23” rack mount brackets separately.
For wide operating temperature (-40 to 65°C) add a “W” to the end of the model number.
Contact Omnitron for extended operating temperature (-40 to 75°C) models.